Collaborative post – may contain affiliate links
There is nothing worse than falling ill when you’re working, but it’s having an accident at work that can be a problem. When you have an accident, you can be laid off and out of the office for weeks, if not months. If you’ve been in an accident, you need to work out what to do to keep your income moving forward, and if you’re running a company yourself, you’ll be glad to be able to keep it going.
There are a few things that you should be doing to keep yourself going after you have an accident at work, and we’ve got them listed for you below.
- Get Some Help. If the accident was on the road in a company car and it wasn’t your fault, you need to get some help. It’s not unusual (but it is devastating) for people to have accidents on the road and with the right help from trucking experts, you can identify who damaged your vehicle. Getting the right help can help you to get your finances in order pretty quickly.
- Focus On The Injury. Next, you have to work to getting yourself back to full fitness, which means focusing on your injuries. You need to make sure that you have been taken through physiotherapy if necessary, and that if you are at home you are resting so that you can heal and get well faster.
- Report It. Your accident on the road or in the factory needs to be reported, but not just to the management. You need to report it to your colleagues. They need to know if there is anything in particular that they could be avoiding to avoid the accident happening themselves. If the accident is road related, then they can take car and ensure that the company vehicles are all professionally checked.
- Add It To The Book. You should always add any work-related accidents to the accident book so that it’s properly recorded according to policy. It’s an important duty and your employer has to record it in the accident book so that it’s on record. If they don’t, you can resign and claim for constructive dismissal. You should always take specialist legal advice before you do this, as you don’t want to find yourself out of a job.
- Get Legal Advice. Your accident could see you out of a job for a while, and you should be properly recompensed when you are losing income while on the job. There is nothing wrong with taking a break and healing properly, but this could take a very long time. You want to make sure that you can still pay your bills in this time, so make sure that you take the time to call and get the ball rolling with insurance.
There is nothing that should stop you from getting as much help as possible following an accident. Whether it’s from a job in the office or on the road, you should be safe at work, and that means knowing how to look after yourself when an accident occurs.