Gone are the days when one could find their first job directly after graduating and then spending all the professional days working in the same company. In many times, people are changing their jobs nowadays even up to 15 times during their professional career.
The process of finding a job is different for different people depending on many factors. This article rounds up some outreach tips that could help you get hired faster.
While some approaches to job search are decreasing in popularity, social media platforms are now increasing in popularity regarding job search.
1. Networking & Referrals
Not all jobs are kept public. There is a “hidden job market” that can only be accessed through networking and knowing the right people. You will need an open mindset for discovering, exploring and being open to new opportunities.
Remember that networking works magic: each network–family, neighbors, close friends, acquaintances, colleagues, and co-workers — is part of another network. This tells you how networking can turn powerful more than you think.
You should start by making a list of all people you need to connect with, the ones in the industry of your choice and reach them first. These come first in recommending you to their networks as well.
2. Career Websites and Job Searching Platforms
There are many career websites and platforms out there. While some of them are regional, others are international/global.
You should know what you are applying for; the type of job, geographical area, department, etc. For example, if you want to work in hotel management, you could narrow down and say something like “hotel management in Seattle”. Before you start, ensure you have the best up to date resume and Cover Letter.
Many sites are offering many templates: CV and Resume templates, CV and Resume templates, marketing templates etc. Onyx is a customizable template which works well both as an online or physical resume. It has a personalized image that gives your resume some character.
3. Create your Online Career Brand
You should build your brand which showcases your expertise and passion online where employers searching the Web can find it you easily.
Most recruiters use LinkedIn as their primary search tool, so you need to have a professional profile there. You can get hired easily when you have a brilliant online profile because you’re literary positioning yourself to be found by hiring managers with relevant openings.
4. Aim to Complete a Few job-related Goals Daily
Undisputedly, it takes a whole lot of time and effort to find a new job. When the job search takes long, one can easily get discouraged and eventually distracted.
The best way is to focus on daily goals which can motivate you to continue with your job search. Once you meet your daily job search goals, you’re motivated to keep on, towards your monthly goals. Then before long, you start getting interview invitations.
5. Job Fairs
Job fairs are the best channels to get hired, but you have to consider some tips here.
- Most job fairs will advertise the companies participating in a job fair, so you need to check their websites to find out the open position they are having.
- Ensure your cover letter and resume are updated
- Consider a networking card that includes your name, email, phone number and optionally your website, blog or LinkedIn account.
- Have an outfit that’s appropriate for the job fair. A professional and comfortable outfit boosts your confidence.
- Be ready with relevant questions for the recruiters just to show that you are passionate about the job.
- Recite your elevator pitch and the eye contact to bring out the best first impression.
- Make follow up with the recruiters, if possible send them a thank you note as connect with them on LinkedIn.
6. Company’s Website
If you have a list of companies you like to work with, the best thing is to go to their website and check the careers section for the job openings. If they do not have openings at the moment,
Consider sending them a polite pitch, telling them your competences and how you can help their company grow if they consider hiring you. Keep it brief and straight to the point. Then politely ask for more information about possible future vacancies.
7. Social Media Channels
Social media channels like Facebook, Google+, etc are powerful tools when it comes to searching for jobs. You need to consider the following advice when using social media channels;
- Use your real name on your profiles
- Consistently use professional images across platforms.
- Only make professional and appropriate images or posts
- Delete the profiles on the websites that you are not using anymore regularly.
- Consistently and professionally tell people who you are, what you do and what are your plans.
LinkedIn comes as the most popular job site, but other platforms such as Facebook and Google started implementing job searching options.
In the current modern and dynamic job market, finding your dream job might require a combination of more of the above methods. Try first the ones you are familiar with then get out of your comfort zone from time to time and experiment with more others as well.
2 thoughts on “Essential Outreach Tips to Find a Great Job”
Great post. It can help everyone to continue and wisely choose a job that suits them from the job market. Thanks for sharing.
You can also check these online ways of earning here…