Collaborative post – may contain affiliate links
Organization in the office is so important, especially if you plan to work in it! You need to be able to move around your space, get your work done, meet your team and remain calm while you are doing all of this. If you are the type of worker that will be surrounded with piles of paperwork as you plow through it all, it’s time to consider how you can get your office better organized.
If there is one place in the office more than most that requires organization, it’s the server room in the office. A twisted and tangled web of cables in the server room is not going to add to the efficiency in the way that you work, so you have to get rid of the mess and straighten out the space this year. Not only is a messy server room ugly, it’s a hazard and you’ll increase the risk of signal loss, which contributes to business interruption. The right organizational tools in your server room will not only keep the space tidy, but it will make it far easier to maintain, too.
- Cable Bundles. Remember we mentioned that a server room can be a hazard? Well, the best way to ensure that you don’t have a hazardous IT space is to bundle and mount your cables and ensure that they are all out of the way. You can choose from a range of tapes to ensure that your cables are organized properly. It may also be worth color-coding all wires to their machines so that you don’t get confused as to what goes where. Mounting the cables to the wall or in the rack with cable ties and sticky-backed mounting bases will help you to add a better flow through the room.
- Get Filing. You can outsource this if you don’t have the time to do it yourself, but all of that paperwork and those files piled up everywhere need to be packed and put away. The key to being organized is in getting through the clutter first before the rest of it all. You need a proper filing system to remain efficient, and it starts with the paperwork.
- Server Racks. Well-built server racks are not an optional piece of equipment for the server room. They are a must! Switches, network infrastructure equipment and routers are all to be stacked in the server rack in a way that makes sense for your business IT maintenance. You can have racks that are free-standing but smaller server room spaces often benefit from server racks that are wall-mounted. These can come in any shape, size and color, and you can even get customizable ones!
- Labels or Colors? We mentioned color coding wires, especially the longer twisted cables, but it may be worth looking at labelling. There are plenty of label makers out there that can help you to let others know what wires are for, too. Your IT experts may know what the colors mean, but anyone coming in won’t! Labels alongside colored stickers can help to keep the room organized
- Buy Storage. Lastly, invest in good storage – both online storage and physical shelves. You want your business to impress others but it cannot do that if you are just one big pile of mess!