Collaborative post – may contain affiliate links
We all know we need an attorney when we get divorced, or if we’re accused of committing a crime, and we tend to overlook the daily legal disputes taking place around work. Here are nine times you may need an attorney in the workplace:
- Workplace Safety: if you injure yourself or someone else at work, you may well need an attorney’s advice. Check your employer (or your business) is appropriately insured. If you own a business and someone gets injured, you may well need legal advice. You could also seek legal advice before getting insurance to ensure you have the maximum cover.
- Unlawful Dismissal: this could be for any number of things; it could be related to inequality, sexual harassment, or several other things. If you are unsure whether your termination is lawful or not, see an attorney.
- Equality Rights: equality covers a vast array of things from gender to sexuality to a disability, and of course, race. If you feel like you’ve been unfairly discriminated against at work, don’t take it lying down, get some legal advice, and fight back.
- On Social Media: with the onslaught of workplaces utilizing personal social media accounts to check out staff, there have never been more legal cases involving your favorite social network site. Make sure your accounts are set to private if you don’t want them accessible to your employer. And be very careful if you have your boss on your friends list. Only put out professional content if you’re using a public profile—nothing you wouldn’t want an employer or client to see.
- Labor Union Activities: if you are involved in labor union activities, you may well end up needing legal aid. Labor unions are notorious in legal history for the number of lawsuits surrounding them. Check out your union’s policies and don’t get involved in anything that may jeopardize your job.
- Maternity and Childcare Debates: there are still a surprising number of cases involving an employer’s actions towards pregnancy and childcare. Know your rights and ask an attorney to help you fight for them. Dads included!
- Privacy Invasion: you have a legitimate case against your employer, or even a colleague if your right to privacy has been violated. That includes on the internet or even your handbag.
- Sexual harassment: you can experience sexual harassment, whether you’re male, female, nonbinary, old, young, or bright blue. It is never ok, and you don’t have to live with it. Find an attorney and put your foot down.
- Contractual Arguments: we all sign legal contracts when we take a job, but how aware are you of your rights regarding that contract? Make sure your contract is fair and lawful. Any good contract attorney can help you here. You can find specialists at firms like Boppre Law Firm who can help you negotiate the best contract, or smooth the waters through any contract-based disputes.
Make sure you know what your rights are and stand up for them when they’re abused. If you do get into a legal dispute at work, don’t panic. Call your attorney and let them help you.
One thought on “Nine Times You May Need an Attorney in the Workplace”