Collaborative post – may contain affiliate links
Opening up a medical practice is one of the most popular dreams for those in the medical profession. To move away from regular practice to start your own private group is something that is exciting and hols many lucrative prospects.
When developing and preparing to open a new medical practice in your local community this year, it is important that you get it right. A doctor’s surgery is a pillar of the community and is a place people will flock to when they are most in need of advice and assistance. In order to take care of patients effectively, you need to ensure that you offer a safe, relaxing, and calming space.
Today we are going to take a look at the essential things you need to source and bring into your medical practice for success this year.
The waiting room
The waiting room is an essential element of a medical practice. This acts as the face of your business and will be the place patients likely spend the most time when they come for a check-up. Here are the things you need to bring into your waiting room for success:
- A TV with useful medical advice, as well as a popup for patients when rooms are ready
- Flyers – to provide information on common illnesses and issues patients may face
- Business cards – for mental health and other services a patient may want without speaking to anyone
- Comfortable, wipeable chairs – comfort is an important part of medicine and you need to ensure that patients are able to feel relaxed. On the flip side to this, chairs should be easily cleanable to stop spread of disease
- Toys – children can be more scared than adults, and giving them toys as a distraction is a great idea
Medical devices and equipment will cover the biggest cost in your practice, and it is important that you have the tools to perform many basic procedures and tests on your patients.
- automated external defibrillator
- Blood pressure monitor
- Pulse oximeter
- Weighing scales
- Emergency supplies (airways, aspirators, oxygen, mask, resuscitation bag)
- ECG unit
- Exam tables and paper towels
- Eye charts
- Procedure tables
- Sharps containers
- Needles for flu jabs
- Contaminated waste bin
- Minor surgical equipment (Medtronic.com)
- Step stools
As well as the obvious patient focussed items to bring into the office, you should also consider bringing some other items into the office to ensure the smooth running of your medical practice
- Kitchen equipment (toaster, kettle, microwave, fridge etc…)
- Books and magazines
- Plants (to reduce stress)
- Appointment software
When setting up your medical practice it is important for you to think about all those little touches that will make the office homely, comfortable, and easy for patients to access. There are plenty of ways to make your medical practice more practical and comfortable, and with all of these things in your medical practice, you should have no problem running a successful venture this year.